Transplant Athlete Stories 13: Dean Arnolds (South African)
Organ Oracles 13: Dean Arnolds, Transplant Athlete (South African) 1-3 (inleiding in Afrikaans Afrikaans )
What’s the greatest hamburger in the world? For a 16-year Dean Arnolds it was a McDonald’s hamburger alone in his hospital room two days after receiving a life-saving transplant. Born with a bladder valve malfunction, Dean was first admitted to the hospital when he was eight months old and while growing up he became accustomed shuttling back and forth between his home, school, and hospitals in Port Elizabeth, South Africa while his four brothers and sisters and parents watched in bewilderment. Still he dreamed of being a cricketer and he would get his chance soon after enjoying the best hamburger of his life.
The specified slider id does not exist.
Dean Arnolds preview
About Dr. Z Podcasts
The mission of Dr. Z Podcasts is to find, record, and share stories about humans engaged in one of the 6As* of life.
*6As = athletics, adventure, academics, art, advocacy, human algorithm. The 6As is the name of the book I am writing and the foundation for Dr. Z Podcasts.
About Dr. Z
Thanks for visiting my site. My name is Zachary Brooks, the “Z” behind “Dr. Z.” Enjoy the content and please send me questions and comments. *I earned a doctorate in Second Language Acquisition with concentrations in cognitive science and management from the University of Arizona.
Check out podcasts on:
- In the Bilingual Decision Making podcasts, Dr. Z returns to his dissertation topic to explore and share research on how one’s language and culture affect decision making.
- Science is driven by people which is why in People Behind the PhDs, Dr. Z interviews the people who have PhDs, their journey to earning PhDs, and their scientific and social research.
- Not accomplishing goals is a big part of life which creates opportunities for learning. In Win or Learn, we interview the people given an opportunity to learn after not achieving a goal.
- Since I’m doing a podcast, I might as well make an “about” section with a Podcast.I call it “About-ish” which is about me, more or less.
- Humans have it within them to change their own lives and lives of millions of others. Doubt it? Think of every advance in human history and you will realize the power of human algorithms.
- In The Daily Decision, Dr. Z delivers you a one-minute podcast on one decision making topic because you want to make better decisions.
- In Leaders on the Line, we explore technical problems and adaptive challenges various leaders face in business and politics. Every show has a theme such as “success,” “team,” or “strategy” in which Dr. Z and a guest do a deep dive into case studies to uncover gold.